Job Title: Constituency Caseworker
Working For: William Wragg MP (Hazel Grove)
Location: Marple, Stockport
Salary: Dependent on experience - In line with IPSA pay scales (from £19,650+ pro rata)
Term: Permanent, Part-Time (3 days per week - Thursday & Friday + one other day)
William Wragg, Member of Parliament for Hazel Grove, is looking to recruit a new member of staff to join his busy Constituency Office based in Marple town centre.
The role is offered on a part-time basis, with three days per week preferred (Thursday & Friday + one other day).
The Caseworker is an essential part of William Wragg MP’s Office. You will have a high degree of contact with the public on behalf of the MP. You are often the first point of contact for constituents, understanding any problems or issues they may have, and deciding how the MP can best help or assist to resolve their case.
You will quickly become familiar with different types of issues, from all the different people represented in the constituency. You will take details of their case and, make further enquires and draft correspondence on behalf of William, and also log and track cases to follow-up on outcomes
The ideal candidate will be enthusiastic, organised, with an interest in politics, but most importantly with a desire to help people. Experience of working in a political setting would be an advantage but is not a requirement – and candidates with transferable skills gained for instance in the business, public, or charitable sectors will be favourably considered.
You will work as part of small team based in William’s Office in Marple town centre and will carry out typical office duties as well as the specific duties of the role. You will also attend weekly surgery meetings with the MP.
Duties and responsibilities include:
- Handling enquiries from members of the public both by telephone and in
- Dealing with all types of correspondence and drafting responses to constituents
- Gathering relevant information to assist with resolving cases
- Making further enquiries on behalf of constituents and the MP with the local Council, central Government, private companies, and other stakeholders
- Log and track all cases: monitor progress and ensure all identified actions are taken
- Attending surgeries and other meetings as appropriate
- General office administration and support
- Retain records and information confidentially and in line with the Data Protection Act
The successful candidate will have:
- Good communication and listening skills
- A friendly telephone manner
- Strong writing skills, with excellent attention to detail
- An ability to manage competing deadlines, to prioritise tasks, and to work independently
- Be highly organised and able to carry out a range of administrative duties
- A willingness to work as a team, with patience and good humour
- The ability to work in a sensitive and confidential manner at all times
- Excellent IT skills including word processing, Outlook and internet research
- Past experience is useful but not essential as training will be given
As part of the role, some travel throughout the constituency and occasional visits to Westminster may be required, and (very occasional) evening or weekend work may also be required.
Candidates should be sympathetic to the broad aims and objectives of the Conservative Party, however membership of the Party is not required.
Upon appointment you will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO). See Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO) page for further info.
Closing Date: 30th April 2017
Interviews will be held in Marple (or London if preferred) on a rolling basis and an appointment may be made before the closing date if a suitable applicant is found.
Please send a CV and a one page covering letter (in a separate Word document) briefly explaining would like to join William’s team and what you think makes you the right candidate.
Please send to William Wragg MP via email@example.com with the subject line “Constituency Caseworker Application”. If you have any questions about the role, please include these in your covering email.